Q: Steering column button an program quit working

The button that controls the steering column quit working in my car. I have a previously programed seat position but even that stopped working so I can't move the steering column. I'm not sure why this happened. Is it possible that some fuse has gone bad? Is it more serious?

A: Hello there. This is not an uncommon fault ...

Hello there. This is not an uncommon fault on the 2011 BMW 535i. There are quite a few possible faults for this type of issue. The most common would be a wiring harness fault, a shorted wire, a failed position memory computer, or a steering column motor failure. It is likely that this is not simply a fuse. When a fuse blows it is due to the circuit drawing too much power or a power spike, which indicates a more involved issue. Faults that affect multiple systems are generally caused by shorted wiring, shared computers, or other wiring harness faults. Have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic diagnose the steering issue to come up with the appropriate fix.