Q: Startup issues after the battery drain

Hello. After I left the dome light on in my car, the battery got drained and the car developed startup issues. It would start with difficulty several times after the drain, but it was as if the battery was going dead. Then, the next time I tried to turn the car on, it wouldn't turn over. I took the car to the shop and was told it was a dead cell. They had the battery replaced. Nevertheless, the car still wouldn't start up. I went to the dealership and they believe the issue is with the starter. It seems like the anti-theft system locked the car down. I am reluctant to pay a lot of money for something that might not be causing the issue. Do you have any suggestion? Thanks.

A: The starter may have been damaged while the...

The starter may have been damaged while the battery was low on charge and it worked too hard trying to turn the engine. I would take the dealer advice and replace the starter first.

I would hold the dealer to the diagnosis if you still have the issue after they put the starter in and the anti-theft system is the problem. Have them check the anti-theft system first then replace the starter. The antitheft would show on the dash when you try and crank if it was the problem, however.