Q: Starts on the second try

Car doesn't start on first key turn but usually starts on the second. Fuel pump and battery are new. Starter and alternator tested good. Van runs fine while in idle. Seems to have no lose of power

Hi, thanks for writing in. The fuel pressure should be checked to see if it can hold pressure after it is shut off. If the pressure drops to zero quickly then the possible cause is the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump is leaking down fuel pressure and will cause the hard start. Try to cycle the key a couple times with starting and then try and start it to see if this allows it to start up normal. If it does then the pressure is dropping and causing the problem. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. Starts on the second try