Q: starts at the starter but not with the key

I started my truck there was a loud grinding noise I drove it up the street and it wouldn't start again somebody told me it was the starter I replace the starter and the relay switch and it still won't start. but when I get under the truck and started at the starter it starts up but not from the key please help me.

Check to see if fuse number 21 in the passenger compartment (15 amp) has power when you turn the key to start the vehicle. The fuse should get power from the ignition switch and be good and not blown. If it has no power, then check and replace the ignition switch. Sometimes the key cylinder outside part comes loose and does not turn the ignition far enough, and the lock cylinder fixes the problem.

If you are getting power to and from the fuse, then check for power to and out of the transmission selector switch on the transmission. Should be a dark blue with orange stripe wire going in from ignition switch and tan with red stripe wire. If you turn the ignition to start, see if power goes in and out of the switch. A certified technician from YourMechanic can help you scope out this issue further to diagnose this starting issue and verify what components need repair.

3. starts at the starter but not with the key