Q: Starts and runs with accelerators pushed. Sputters and stalls out. Carbon smell from exhaust before stall.

No new trouble codes. New PCM module, TPS, IAC, cap, rotor, ground wires and battery. Oldl code was P0320, service writer says timing chain or timing chain guides. Runs fine above 1500 rpms. Still checking all wires and sensor connectors.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. With this many miles I would start by doing a compression test. If the compression is low or way off from each cylinder then the engine is failing. If the compression is fine the I would typically start by checking the fuel pressure to see if it is where it should be. Low fuel pressure can cause these same issues. I would also check the crank and cam sensors just to make sure that they are reading right. If those are also fine then the compression will definitely tell if there is an internal issue or a timing chain. If you want to have your P0320 code figured out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

3. Starts and runs with accelerators pushed. Sputters and stalls out. Carbon smell from exhaust before stall.