Q: Starts and dies.

I own a 1996 grand am gt 4door, started fine, went to play ball, and then started and died. So I tried it again, same thing. Waited a minute it started and I took it home. It drove perfectly fine. Got home shut it off. Tried to start it, it started and died immediately, keeps doing that. What is my issue, and how hard would it be to fix/cost?

There can be a few things that can cause your vehicle to start and die. Some of the more common things that can duplicate this problem would be an intermittently failing fuel pump. A weak fuel pump may have enough pressure to provide the engine with fuel but lack the pressure needed to keep it running.

Another common problem I have seen that can duplicate these symptoms is the electronic portion of your ignition switch. When the symptom happens, try wiggling the keys and try starting again. This doesn’t always work but can sometimes point us in the right direction.

To give you an accurate estimate on the cost of the repair of the vehicle, we really need to know the source that’s causing the no start issue. I recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and diagnose your no start condition. They will have the knowledge and tools needed to quickly determine why your Pontiac won’t start and assist you with any repairs that are needed.

3. Starts and dies.