Q: Starting when its cold

So having a diesel I know you have to plug them in when its cold but I have mine plugged in and when I go to start it, it cranks over once and battery goes dead so I jump started it and got it running, ran it a full day and now this morning I goto start it same problem no power from battery. So is this just a bad battery problem or does the engine block heater have a problem in this too?

This sounds like you may have bad batteries since the block heater only helps the engine to start in the cold but the battery still has to turn the engine fast enough to start the truck. Since a jump start works to start if then replace batteries and retest system.

Cold weather is extremely harsh on batteries. At temperatures of 0°F, a car’s battery can lose up to 60 percent of its strength. Even at 32°F, it can lose up to 35 percent of it’s power. The electric current generated by a battery is produced when a connection is made between its positive and negative terminals. When the terminals are connected, a chemical reaction is initiated that generates electrons to supply the current of the battery. Lowering the temperature causes chemical reactions to proceed much slower, so if a battery is used at a low temperature, less current is produced than at a higher temperature. As the batteries run down they quickly reach the point where they cannot deliver enough current to keep up with the demand. This is especially hard on batteries starting diesel motors due to the extremely high compression. If the battery is warmed up again it will operate normally. Needless to say, during cold temperatures starting an engine can take up to twice as much current as needed under normal conditions. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to replace your battery.

3. Starting when its cold