Q: Q: Starting the car

In order to the car to start, I have to turn the steering wheel to the right a couple of times and turn the key at the same time for the ignition to start. I need to know what this problem is so that I can schedule a fix. Thank you.

Hi There, It sounds like what you are describing is actually the steering lock mechanism doing it’s job locking the steering wheel prior to turning the key. The steering will lock any time the vehicle is attempted to be moved without the key in the ignition. Any movement of the steering mechanism, whether at the wheel or the front tires when the key has been removed, will release a spring-loaded lever which causes it to engage a slot and lock the mechanism. Occasionally, this mechanism can bind up or become faulty due to wear over time or faulty parts inside. I would recommend having a professional form YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

3. Q: Starting the car