Q: Starting problem, what part is the culprit?

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have used it pretty consistently since I bought it. I have 75,000 miles on it now and it has a really hard time starting up most of the time now. Some days it will not start up at all and I have to let it sit and try again in a while. That’s just not acceptable. When I asked the dealership about it they informed me that I am not the only one with this problem. How should I proceed? If it is a widespread problem should I wait for Jeep to do a recall or fix it on my own dollar and hope they reimburse me?

Sounds like the fuel pump relay is either not turning on the fuel pump or intermittently shutting off power to the fuel pump without warning. This could be dangerous if this happens while driving.

The fuel pump relay is inside the Total Integrated Power Module (TPIM) and is not serviceable separately, but there is a campaign recall RC-R09-15 that covers your vehicles TPIM replacement.

Contact your local dealer and supply your vehicle information as requested in order to see if your vehicle is covered.

3. Starting problem, what part is the culprit?