Q: Starting problem

My car was running fine for a month or two then I went to start it when I got off work a couple weeks ago it turned over but wouldn't start I had a family mechanic look at it and they said I needed a new fuel pump. I replaced that but I still have the same problem.

If by "the same problem again" you mean the replacement fuel pump needs to be replaced again, then you should do a couple of things before putting another fuel pump in.

1. Check the wiring to the fuel pump for any breaks or shorts.

2. Make sure the inside of the fuel tank is clean. If there is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the tank due to age, that can be getting sucked into the pump, causing it to overheat and fail.

If it is simply not starting and the fuel pump is not the cause, then it can be any number of things causing that. Lack of spark, failed crankshaft position sensor, etc.

If you’d like a fresh pair of eyes on the issue, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and diagnose the starting issue firsthand for an accurate repair.