Q: Starting my car, 2002 Honda Accord

I go to start my car this afternoon and I hear a loud clicking sound from the engine. I don't know what it is can someone help

A: Hey there. This is typically due to a low b...

Hey there. This is typically due to a low battery. A load test of your battery will likely reveal the battery is discharged. This could be a result of the alternator not supplying enough electricity, the battery is simply bad or there is an electrical load that discharged the battery while it sat.

I recommend connecting a battery charger or jumper box to the battery and see if it starts. But some tests should be done to determine what is wrong.

Ideally, a load test of the battery should be performed, but there are other methods out there that are not quite as reliable. They are effective about 90% of the time. Unless, there is an obvious sign that the battery is no good, the battery should be charged for awhile and load-tested again. There is much discussion about how long to charge a battery.

The best answer I know is an analogy of the battery to a bucket. The bigger the bucket, the longer it takes to fill. A half full bucket works well, but a full bucket will get someone wetter. So how long the battery takes to charge properly depends on its capacity and how much of it has been emptied. With time, this can be recognized quickly.

If the battery tests good, then an amperage test should be performed to see if there are any accessories that are on while the car sits. A load test requires knowledge of how to operate a multimeter and the removal of the negative battery cable. It gets more detailed than is good for this forum.

If all that checks out properly, the alternator needs to be tested next. A charging system test can be simple or complicated. It depends on the findings up to this point. If you would like help with this, I recommend having an expert, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your charging system in person in order to have this properly addressed.