Q: Starting Issues in High Humidity

Car sometimes does not start in high humidity, replaced the distributor cap and rotor, did not fix the problem, the next cheapest fix I am thinking is the ignition coil, what do you think?

Is the coil something I can easily install myself on a 96 Caprice Classic? Thank you.

Hi there:

Sometimes chasing symptoms by the cheapest fix is counter productive - especially in regards to finding an electrical gremlin like the starting issue with your Caprice. In most cases, problems starting a vehicle in high humidity climates are caused by a mass air flow sensor that is damaged or the electrical harness connected to it is damaged. However, it could be caused by other ignition components including your coil. The best way to reduce the chasing is to have a professional technician from YourMechanic complete an electrical inspection to pinpoint the source of your starting issues.

3. Starting Issues in High Humidity