Q: Starting issues happening randomly, idling fine

My car has some problems with the startup. It can be turned on with the key at times. It idles fine but just wouldn't start. The car has a remote strater but it doesn't work. Why is this happening and how to fix it?

A: Hello. If the engine is cranking over and j...

Hello. If the engine is cranking over and just not starting, then it is typically a bad crank position sensor. When this sensor fails, it is typically intermittent and if the computer does not see the crank signal, it will not start.

If the engine is not even cranking over, then you may have a starter failing. Depending on which one of these symptoms you are getting would determine where to start the testing. But the crank sensor is by far the most common. If you are going to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your car’s starting issue.