Q: Starter or transmission needs work

My car won't go over 40 MPH. When I start it, it takes a few tries and then the car vibrates before it settles down. In my opinion, the starter or the transmission needs work.

Hello. It sounds like you may have multiple problems with the vehicle. If it has a hard time starting then most of the time this is caused by a fuel pressure problem or a bad crank sensor. If the car will not go above 40 mph then that can also be caused by a fuel system problem. This engine is also notorious for having timing chain problems. If this is worn out then this can occur also. As a mechanic I would typically start by checking to see if there are any codes in the computer. If there are then they can give you a good place to start. If not then I would start by driving it. If the vehicle will not go above 40 mph, but the engine is revving fine then the issue may be a failing transmission. I would get some help from a certified mechanic to assist you with diagnosing your acceleration problem and starting issue.

3. Starter or transmission needs work