Q: Starter or transmission needs work

My car won't go over 40 MPH. When I start it, it takes a few tries and then the car vibrates before it settles down. In my opinion, the starter or the transmission needs work.

A: Hello. It sounds like you may have multiple...

Hello. It sounds like you may have multiple problems with the vehicle. If it has a hard time starting then most of the time this is caused by a fuel pressure problem or a bad crank sensor. If the car will not go above 40 mph then that can also be caused by a fuel system problem. This engine is also notorious for having timing chain problems. If this is worn out then this can occur also. As a mechanic I would typically start by checking to see if there are any codes in the computer. If there are then they can give you a good place to start. If not then I would start by driving it. If the vehicle will not go above 40 mph, but the engine is revving fine then the issue may be a failing transmission. I would get some help from a certified mechanic to assist you with diagnosing your acceleration problem and starting issue.