Q: Stalls when comming to a stop, & will not go over 2000 rpm when warmed up.

Bought a 96 maxima last month. The first week it ran fine. But now it only runs if the engine is cold. Meaning, once engine starts to warm up, it makes cranking sound like a school bus, low rpm idling, cuts off at decreased speeds, will not go over 2000 rpms (chokes once it hits 2) & sometimes won't start back up once it dies. However if engine is cold it will start right up, won't cut off, and can go well over 2000 rpms. Does this sound like a simple fix? I can't figure out what the issue is.

This type of symptoms is usually related to a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 750-800 RPM (for most cars), this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your idle air control valve.

• Stalls when comming to a stop, & will not go over 2000 rpm when warmed up.