Q: Stalling in between gears

I am having problems with my 2.4L 2WD. I just had the timing chain and all of its components replaced. It ran great for about a day. Then there were problems with the 1st and 2nd gears. The truck almost goes dead when shifting unless I gas it really hard and hold the clutch down in the process. It gets worse the longer I drive it. But it’s intermittent and doesn’t happen every time I come to complete stop. I did allot of tests and replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires. I think it might be my distributor, but I’m not sure. Do you have any ideas? Thanks.

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 199...

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 1997 Nissan Pickup. My suggestion is to get it back to whoever did the timing chain and make sure that it was done correctly. It may actually be a timing chain issue (off by a tooth or two, tensioner not correct). Or sometimes when major work is performed, and many things are taken apart and wiring is disconnected, not everything gets put back together correctly and securely. Then a couple days later a problem arises. It happens. That’s where I would start. If you don’t feel comfortable bringing back to the same repair shops, an independent mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your vehicle’s stalling issue.