Q: Stalling in any gear

My van has 240k on it. 2 days ago it stalled at a stop sign for no reason. I can’t get it to stay running in any gear. It keeps stalling. I had it towed home. When I start it up the speedometer bounced everywhere and it stalls in any gear. I called up a few repair shops, but no one has any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it. Can you help me? Thanks.

A: Thanks for writing in about your 2003 Ford ...

Thanks for writing in about your 2003 Ford Econoline. When you say you cannot get it to stay running in gear, I will have to assume it stays running in park or neutral. The problem appears to be in your transmission. If you hear a whine from the transmission then you may have a transmission filter that has fell out of the transmission causing the transmission to suck air. This will cause the transmission to lock and stall the engine in any gear. If after dropping the transmission pan the filter is out of its hole, then replace the transmission filter and transmission fluid. If the filter did not fall out, then the transmission needs rebuilt. If you would like to have this looked at by another mechanic, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect your stalling issue and let you know what needs repair.