Q: Stalling at red light, has to be restarted

I have a high-mileage car with over 240,000 miles on it. Lately, it's been stalling. It happens when I decrease the speed and stop at red light, for example. Then, I would run fine when I start it up again. It usually takes a couple of minutes for it to restart. However, the other day, it took longer for it to run again. How serious is this, considering the mileage of the vehicle? How can I fix it? Thank you in advance.

The mass airflow sensor (MAF) may be intermittently causing the problem.

Over time, the MAF sensor gets damaged from fine dirt particles and can cause the engine to stall and be hard to start. Have the system computer tested for and service any codes received. Pay attention to the condition of the MAF sensor; throttle body and idle air valve if they are dirty and need cleaning. Have the MAF sensor replaced if excessive dirt damage is seen.

3. Stalling at red light, has to be restarted