Q: Stalling and overheating problem - 1996 Acura TL

I just bought a 1996 acrua for a great price but on the ride home we couldn't keep it running every time took foot off gas it would die. Half way home started to over heat , got home checked fluids a little low on everything put trans ,and oil water& brake fluid cleaned cables they were bad what else? Air filter,oil filter the rpm jumps back and forth above 1 then below then dies if foot isn't on gas

A: Hi there. This is a common symptom of the m...

Hi there. This is a common symptom of the mass airflow sensor failing. This is a unit that regulates the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not working properly, this will cause an imbalanced load of fuel and air to be supplied to the motor resulting in the symptoms you have described.

The overheating issue may have been related simply to being low on fluid. If not, this may be related to a faulty thermostat, a clogged radiator, a faulty cooling fan sensor or a blown head gasket. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the overheating and stalling issue in order to proceed with the appropriate services.