Q: Stalling after fueling

Hi. The car was stalling after fueling, check engine light came on. Mechanic replaced O2 sensor, and within 2 days we had the same problem. We've returned it and he says the code was for the sensor before, and is now for the solenoid. Also that cars this age can throw a code, but not another one until after the repair. So, it won't tell you everything at once. I find it hard to believe that we have the exact same problem we did before, but now it's a different problem. In addition, I've looked up the problem online and with the symptoms I'm having it says it is a fuel valve (not exactly the right term) but that's an inexpensive repair that could have been done in the first place. Thanks!! Btw 140K, but the form didn't allow.

A: Without having inspected the vehicle myself...

Without having inspected the vehicle myself, I can say it is possible the code for a faulty O2 sensor may have been present,either due to the sensor being faulty itself, or registering incorrect readings due to the following. It is possible the fuel tank purge valve or charcoal canister may be at fault. When filling the fuel tank, vapors within the tank must be "purged" in order for the liquid gasoline to fill the tank. These vapors are then stored in the purge system and vented forward to the engine to be burned away when the vehicle is started.. Sometimes due to age, the purge valve or charcoal canister can allow liquid gasoline into the purge system. This can deteriorate the charcoal over time and allow it to break apart. If this happens, liquid gasoline will vent forward to the engine instead of, or along with fuel vapors.. Adding this "extra" gasoline to the engine when trying to start is can cause a hard start or even stalling until that extra fuel has burned away. Here are some common symptoms of a failure in the purge system.

Have a certified technician look into the stalling to isolate the exact cause.