Q: Stalling accelerating idling rough

When I’m driving my car and press on the gas pedal to accelerate it feels like it’s losing all energy and almost stops, but then it starts going again. The car almost stalls. If I press the gas pedal all the way down it will idle rough. My exhaust system has a sizable leak, but not sure if it would cause the stalling and rough idling. My fuel pump is 6 months old, and I rebuilt the carburetor 6 months ago, too. Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

A: It sounds like the float level was set too ...

It sounds like the float level was set too low and causing the engine to starve of fuel. You also may need to verify the vacuum advance works and the centrifugal advance works in the distributor by using a timing light to see if timing is working. The base timing should then be checked by bringing vehicle up on TDC to verify the timing dod not jump chain. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling issue and advise you on the correct repairs.