Q: Stall

The van stalls when I drive. It just turns off. No other description, indication, no noises. Check engine light is not on. Could it be the idle air control valve? What else could it be?

Hi there. There are a lot of things that can cause this. I would need to know when it turns off and what size engine you have to be accurate on my assessment of the issue. If the van is stalling at idle or when you are coming to a stop, then most of the time this is caused by a bad idle control valve. A dirty throttle body can also cause this. I usually start by cleaning the throttle body if it is dirty. If the problem persists then I install a scan tool to see what each sensor and actuator is causing this. Most of the time the problem is the idle control valve. If you need to have this stalling problem checked out, have a technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect the stalling problem and replace the idle control valve if necessary.