Q: Squealing noise

Heard a squealing noise when I stated the car today. Lasted about 6 seconds then stopped

The squealing could have come from any number of things under the hood. A power steering pump, water pump, or alternator could have made the noise. The most common thing to look at would be the belt drive system. With age, the serpentine belt will dry, crack, and glaze a bit. That can cause it to make a squealing sound on initial start up, or even when accelerating. Also the belt tensioner can be weak. With typical serpentine belt set ups, all the accessories like power steering pump and air conditioner compressor, remain in a fixed position. The belt is removed and held to the proper tension, by the belt tensioner. These are typically a spring-loaded device that with age, the spring can weaken and allow the belt to become a little loose. A loose belt even when new, can make a squealing noise. Have a certified technician inspect the pulleys and belt-drive system to isolate the exact cause of the squealing noise on start-up.

3. Squealing noise