Q: Squeaking noise

Hi there, My car makes a squeaking noise when i first start or accelerate but i goes away when it gets warm. I brought to mechanic. He changed the belt and still making noise. Then he said it is tensioner but it's quite expensive. Could you please let me know if I keep driving as it is . Is it good or bad ? I really need help please. Thanks Sunny

Hi Sunny. A weak tensioner can definitely cause the belt to make noise. However, are there any leaks occurring that could potentially contaminate the belt? If there is a leak dripping onto the belt then it will make the noise during the cold start until whatever is on the belt gets thrown off or worn off. A good visual inspection for leaks that could contaminate the belt is a good practice. You can potentially drive the vehicle with both/either condition occurring. However, how long you’ll be able to drive before a belt failure leaves you stranded, I don’t know. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several technicians available that can assist you with a car is making a noise inspection.