Q: Squeaking in the belt area

There is a squeaking eminating from the belt srea in the engine compartment. Mechanic checked belts, said they were tight, sprayed the area, it helped slightly, but still squeaking, mechanic could not determine the cause, nor remedy the situation. Any thoughts or advice as to what the problem might be?

One or more pulleys are out of plane and/or a pulley or idler bearing is faulty. If the origin of the noise is not really obvious (pinpointed) on the mechanic’s initial inspection, a quick diagnostic can be performed by simply taking all of the belt driven accessories out of the picture by disconnecting the drive belt and then very briefly running the engine. If the sound disappears, the faulty rotating component is then isolated amongst the accessories and pulleys. If the sounds does not disappear, by the way, that means the noise originates within the engine and/or transmission (e.g., torque converter). If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Squeaking in the belt area