Q: Squeaking coming from rear Drum brakes

My rear Drum brakes make a squeaking noise every time I let off of the brakes. What could this be? & what needs to be done?

The steel backing to which the brake shoe is bonded moves against a steel support plate. That metal to metal contact can cause noise. There are some high temperature, water resistant lubricants that can be applied to mitigate the noise. It is also possible that the drums/shoes are glazed and/or there is interaction between the shoe friction material and the drum, causing the noise. In that event, turning the drums and replacing the shoes will resolve it. Other causes are loose parts, weak springs, and so forth. YourMechanic does offer mobile brake noise diagnostics and repair services so if you desire a resolution using that service, please refer to the just cited service link. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. Squeaking coming from rear Drum brakes