Q: squeaking

hi my vauhall astra mk4 sri 2003 has started making a high pitch squeaking noise when driven past 3000 rpm it is also lacking power I have been to numerous garages and they have all said different things can anyone please help me thank you

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. To be per...

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

To be perfectly honest, I have never dealt with that particular car, as we don't have Vauxhall in the US. Since this is an SRI model, it seems to be a turbocharged model, and common problems on any turbo cars with these symptoms are either a boost leak or a problem with the turbocharger. The compressor wheel on your turbo is spinning very fast, and when the bearings start to wear out, they can make the turbo very noisy. Also a boost leak will create a large whistling noise when there is pressure in the system as it rushes out of wherever it's leaking from. General squealing noises could be caused by loose belts, though that wouldn't generally make a low power situation unless it was a supercharged car, which uses a belt to drive the supercharger. I would recommend having this diagnosis verified by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic if you happen to be in the United States.