Q: Squeaking brakes

6 months ago I got all new brake pads for my car. They are Napa semi-metallic break pads. At first they squeaked a little bit at low speeds but I thought I just had to wear them in. It went away after a few weeks. But for the last month the squeak came back but worse. It's very loud and piercing and happens every time I brake to a stop. The only time it doesn't squeak is if I slam on the brakes. I really need this to stop because it is so bothering. I know it isn't because the brakes are warn down and old since they are 6 months old. Please help.

Hi there:

In most cases, squeaking brakes are caused by excessive brake dust that builds up on the caliper and rotor. Sometimes simply washing your brake rotors with a high pressure hose will brake-up the dust and fix this issue. It’s also possible that the brake rotors are causing this issue. The surface of the brake disc is what the brake pads grip onto when brakes are applied. If the surface is either glazed over with brake residue or covered in oxidation (rust), then noise will ensue. You can have a professional mobile mechanic complete a squealing noise from brakes inspection to determine why this is happening.