Q: Sporadic startup issues and stalling

Hi. I have sporadic startup difficulties with my car. I've been to different mechanics concerning this issue but nobody solved it. The problem happens when I start the car. It would sometimes turn over and then shut off right away. If I try to restart the car, it would start up and turn off yet again. Other times, it wouldn't even start up for the next 20 minutes, but the car would run fine after that. These problems happen intermittently. The car would be running great for months and suddenly start having these issues. It doesn't depend on the weather either. It is completely random. Also, there are no error codes. What should I do? What is causing this? Thank you in advance.

Hello. It sounds like there may be an intermittent problem with the fuel pump failing. This may be what is causing the problem you are having with the starting condition. The electrical system of the fuel pump could also be faulty. There could be a problem with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), but this is a rare condition and could be intermittent as well. Intermittent conditions can be difficult to diagnose because the problem will come and go. There are times when the intermittent condition may need to worsen before a technician will be able to make a proper diagnosis. I suggest having a certified mechanic from YourMechanic inspect your vehicle’s stalling issues. YourMechanic has certified technicians who will be able to come out and try to pinpoint the cause of your vehicle’s intermittent condition.