Q: Sporadic starting issues - 1990 Dodge Dynasty

I have sporadic starting problems with the car. Once it does start, it has no problems at all and runs great without hesitating or losing power. However, when I cannot get it to run, it usually starts up, runs rough for about 20 seconds and shuts off. The fuel pressure seems fine and there is spark. I had the fuel pump replaced along with the fuel filter. The dashboard isn't showing any lights on. What might be the problem?

A: This problem sounds like the fuel pressure ...

This problem sounds like the fuel pressure check valve, which maintains some fuel system pressure overnight, is leaking down and sticking "open" when the car is first started each day. Once the vehicle has started, with adequate pressure built up in the fuel system, it doesn't leak down enough during the day to cause a problem. Monitoring fuel pressure during a "first time each day" startup scenario will confirm this cause. A professional mechanic, like YourMechanic, can check out this problem, and replace any failed parts.