Q: Speedometer goes on and off during driving on a '97 Camry LE

97 Camry LE. The speedometer stops working when I'm driving and then works again. Any suggestions what could be the problem? Also, can I replace battery cables--are there wires?

Sure, if you are comfortable with this this type of work, you can replace the battery cables yourself. You can buy battery cables anywhere. Then you just unbolt them, bolt the new one in. As for the other wires that are connected, you can just connect them. If the wires that you buy are just bare wires with ends on them, then you buy the connector kits and then you can connect that wire to the other wire, cut them, and splice them together. A technician can help you replace the battery cable if you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.

Now as for your speedometer, those generally go bad due to a bad speed sensor. I recommend having the speed sensor changed. You’ll want to pray that it’s the speed sensor, because if it’s the dashboard, the dash units can be very expensive. If it is the dash, then you’ll usually want to replace it with a used one. Because you can get a used one from a junk yard for maybe 100 bucks, whereas a new one at the dealer can cost you 800-900 bucks, or even more. You can have the speedometer inspected by a technician to verify the root cause of its failure before making any replacements.

3. Speedometer goes on and off during driving on a '97 Camry LE