Q: speedometer dropped to 0 mph and 10 minutes later truck slowed to a dead stop 1998 Chevrolet S10

12-30-16 at 4 pm travelling 35 mph - speedometer on dash dropped to 0 mph - the air bag light came on - all of my gauges on dash board stopped working - 10 minutes later truck slowed to a dead stop (full tank of gas). Unable to start the truck - no sound - lights on dash just flickered - the clock on the dash continued to work. Truck was towed to the dealership and mechanic will troubleshoot after the holidays. Tow truck driver said alternator must have went out. My husband is curious how do we determine if it is a bad alternator that needs to be replaced and is it something that we could take care of ourselves. What do you suggest?

3. speedometer dropped to 0 mph and 10 minutes later truck slowed to a dead stop 1998 Chevrolet S10