Q: Q: Speedometer broken

The speedometer doesn't work, and the engine light is not on.

There are two parts that if they fail will cause the issue you describe. Commonly in older age vehicles, the gears on the speedometer cable will become worn and unable to make proper contact. The less common scenario is that the input port to the instrument cluster itself will become defective. I suggest that a well-trained technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect those two components for defects. The defective piece will be the cause of your speedometer not working, and repairs can be made following a proper diagnosis.

3. Q: Speedometer broken