Q: Speedo and lights are all out on my dash

Some of the lights in the dashboard of my 2008 Chevrolet Silverado have gone out. Recently the speedometer has stopped working as well. The truck only has 75,000 miles on it, so I’m surprised there are electrical problems this early on. I think the engine and transmission are working harder as well. What is the problem here? I am really starting to worry!

The dashboard instrument cluster is powered through the ignition switch. If you are losing power to the speedometer, it can cause issues with transmission or engine as well. The engine and transmission have to receive information about the speed from the cluster in order to work correctly. While the cluster may be at fault, there have been some owners having issues with the ignition switch assembly. To properly diagnose the problem you are having, YourMechanic can test for proper power coming from ignition switch to cluster and can replace the ignition switch if needed. They can also repair or replace the cluster. I recommend getting a thorough diagnostics done by YourMechanic to isolate your particular issue and repair as needed.

3. Speedo and lights are all out on my dash