Q: Son has a dumbbell-shape oil leak on the pavement. Is this possibly the gaskets needing replaced?

My son has a 2001 Pontiac grand am just gifted to him from his grandmother. There is an oil leak that my mother was given the gaskets for as the parts needing replaced. She was told the bigger leak is an easy fix, but the other leak is harder to get to. The leak looks like a dumbbell shape on the pavement where there is about a coffee mug sized circle connected to a pencil size bar and then to another coffee mug sized circle. Could this be just the gaskets needing replaced? And how soon should this be taken care of and about how much, as my son just started a job and it is a financial issue? Thank you for your time!

Hi there. An oil leak like this can be caused by valve cover gaskets that are leaking, but in most cases, it’s the front timing cover gasket or crankshaft seal that is the source of the problem. In cases like this where money is tight and having the right repairs completed the first time is critical, it’s often better money spent to have the leak professional diagnosed by a mobile mechanic. This way, they can pinpoint all oil leaks and provide you with recommendations as to the priority level of repairs that will also fit within your budget.

3. Son has a dumbbell-shape oil leak on the pavement. Is this possibly the gaskets needing replaced?