Q: Sometimes the truck will start and run just fine, and other times it will barely want to start and I need to press the gas pedal

When I go to start my truck sometimes it starts and runs just fine or it will not start at all or actually get wants to start but cannot get it to start or if I can get it started I push the gas too hard it'll die out I'm wondering if it's my fuel pump or not and what it could possibly be something else

A: Hello. This can be caused by a few differen...

Hello. This can be caused by a few different things. If the vehicle will run by pressing lightly on the gas pedal then it may be a bad idle control valve. If it sticks, it will allow too much air into the engine and cause it to run like this.

It can also be a weak fuel pump or an air flow meter issue. If the engine runs fine once it is started, then I would check the computer for codes first. If none are present, then I would run the engine and see what the sensor readings are to see if anything comes up faulty.

If those are also fine, then I check the fuel pressure to see if the pump is getting weak or to see if the pressure bleeds off while the vehicle sits. If you are thinking of having this starting issue inspected, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this problem.