Q: Sometimes my ignition switch won't turn all the way off on my 2006 Impala. What should I do?

Sometimes I cannot fully turn my car off when I stop what should I do or could I do??

A: Hi. This a common problem with these cars. ...

Hi. This a common problem with these cars. To solve this problem the ignition key cylinder will have to be replaced. On some of these cars the key will have to be reprogrammed to the security system of the car in order for it to start. This can by done by a locksmith, dealership, or local shop that has a scan tool to do it.

Until you get it fixed you can try spraying WD-40 were the key is inserted. That may loosen up the parts that are getting stuck and causing your problem. I suggest you replace the ignition key cylinder as soon as possible as this will get worse and the key will eventually not come out at all.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I recommend having the issue with your key and switch diagnosed by a certified technician such as one from YourMechanic.