Q: Sometimes key starts now it doesn't. Ignition or solenoid, please help 2005 GMC Envoy

Sometimes truck starts with key if it doesn't we touch a thing under hood with screwdriver to start it. Now thats not working. Ignition problem or solenoid? please help thank you

Hi there - it sounds like you have been "jumping" the starter off using a screwdriver to short the power cable from the battery to the starter motor terminal - bypassing the starter solenoid. That would have indicated a bad solenoid or a problem in the starter wiring to the solenoid. Now that that is not longer working, a bit more diagnosis is required. Since bypassing the starter solenoid isn’t working, that suggests that the starter itself now has a problem. This MAY be "in addition" to a problem with the starter circuit between the ignition switch and the starter as well - which required bypassing the solenoid in the first place. I recommend a not starting inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Sometimes key starts now it doesn't. Ignition or solenoid, please help 2005 GMC Envoy