Q: sometimes have trouble starting the car and backfire and when I'm driving

Okay so sometimes when I start my car I have trouble starting it and when I'm driving I hear backfires loud ones not all the time just sometimes I replace the distributor cap and distributor rotor and it got better for a few days but then it started backfiring again and I'm wondering if this could be the spark plugs or the ignition ignition coil I also sometimes have surging problems when I'm parked or at a stop light in idle

A: Hi there. From the description you have pro...

Hi there. From the description you have provided, your vehicle's backfiring and surge should be properly diagnosed. It could be, the distributor itself is at fault. The distributor shaft and/or distributor bushings may be worn. Replacing the distributor cap and distributor rotor, apparently was a short term fix. Remove the distributor cap and rotor, try moving the distributor shaft (side to side) in different directions. There should slight or no movement, side to side. Any appreciable movement, requires distributor replacement. A worn distributor could, cause a surging idle as ignition timing is varying. This could be confirmed by, using a timing light, seeing variation in the timing mark(s). I recommend having your vehicle's engine backfiring and surges be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician from YourMechanic.