Q: Someone broke into my car

My car was broken into and the wheel won't turn but the key will turn but the car won't start. The car is a Ford Explorer 2001 sport
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

If there is damage to the steering column, please exercise extreme caution in even "looking" at the column, let alone "repairing" it. The driver side airbag is at the top of that column and could go off unexpectedly during service work and that will injure or kill you if your head is in the general area. The air bag circuit has to be completely disabled, per the instructions in the Factory Service Manual, before a hands on diagnosis, let alone any actual repair, is even attempted.

It sounds like the steering column was damaged, including the locking mechanism, and if the no start condition was not present earlier it is probably related to, or due to, this damage. The steering lock mechanism, key switch and electrical wiring and terminals, and other components should be repaired first. If after that, the vehicle won’t start, a standard no start diagnostic will reveal the issue. A certified Mechanic from YourMechanic can restore (rebuild) the column for you and then perform additional diagnostics if the vehicle still won’t start. Please let us know how we can assist you with this repair work.