Q: Soft brakes

I started having issues with my brakes, I had the pads and rotors replaced. Once the brake fluid was checked it was thick and burned. The line has been flushed and the master cylinder and power booster have been replaced. The brakes are still soft and go down to the floor when pressed, also when the roads are wet the brakes start skipping and are rough to press. I'm not sure what else to do, the mechanic I went to says they are fixed, but it is a safety hazard.

The brake pedal on every vehicle has a specified amount of downward travel, measured in inches, and documented in the Factory Service Manual for your vehicle that your "mechanic" probably never read. If the pedal moves beyond the specified range, toward the floor, the brakes are faulty, period. If your mechanic told you otherwise, hopefully you have a good sense of humor and will just simply look for a mechanic who knows what he’s talking about (YourMechanic has lots of them, by the way). Excessive pedal travel, such as that you are describing, can have one or multiple (coincident) causes: 1) air in the system, particularly air entrained in the ABS unit which often must be remotely activated by a scan tool to get the air out; 2) a defective ABS unit; 3) system fluid leaks; 4) bulging components such as those rubber hoses, at each wheel position, which can, if defective, actually expand as you put pressure on the pedal, thus causing the pedal to creep ever lower; 5) a defective master cylinder; and 6) cracked drum(s), typically in the rear but of course only if you have drum brakes. The underlying fault causing the problem you are writing in about will be readily resolved by a YourMechanic professional if you request a brake system inspection. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.