Q: so in 4th and 5th gear i have to put on more gas then normal to get it to accelerate at all

been reading that it might be slipping clutch but the symptoms don't sound right but also seen it might just be adjustment so just looking to get a lil help to figure out whats going on

A: If the clutch is slipping, the motor will r...

If the clutch is slipping, the motor will rev and the car won’t accelerate. Also, this will happen in every gear, not just 4th and 5th. If you have a tachometer, accelerate and watch the tachometer. If the clutch is slipping, the numbers will rise but the car will not accelerate or it will accelerate slowly. If the clutch is slipping this much, most likely there will be a strong smell accompanying it. If you don’t have a tachometer, you will need to listen to the motor rev as the clutch slips. Give it more gas than you usually would and do it in a safe place. If it’s slipping, it should be fairly obvious.

Your 1991 Protege is likely due for a clutch. Most clutches don’t last more than 120,000 miles or so. I would imagine you car has at least this many miles. The only thing I can think of with an adjustment that could possibly make the clutch slip is the clutch pedal. But this would only be a factor if the clutch had just been replaced or the clutch pedal assembly was replaced or adjusted for some reason.

If you need help having this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can diagnose the slip and advise you on the correct repair.