Q: Snapping sound in rear tires going forward and reverse

When I start a bit hard, I get a loud clicking sound. It happens worse in reverse. It sounds like it is coming from the rear tires and is like the snapping noise of a stick being broken in half. The dealership replaced both axles, but the sound still exists. My mileage is approx. 84,000. Before I return for more repairs, please give me your diagnosis and any advice. Thanks.

Hello. Most of the time this is a problem with the flexible joint on the drive shaft. These fail frequently and cause this to occur. The noise happens because there is too much flex and it need to be replaced.

Since the dealer did not fix it right the first time I would make sure that they credit your last repair to this repair, as the initial repair did not fix it. If the dealer is unable to help and you want to go a different route, consider YourMechanic, as a certified professional can assist you with accurately diagnosing the sound.

3. Snapping sound in rear tires going forward and reverse