Q: smoking exhaust

iv got a ford that hasnt been running for over a year. iv added 2L of new petrel iv check the oil level and coulor which is ok. but these a lot of smoke that comes out of the exhaust when you start it. iv let it run for over half an hour but the smoke doesnt go away and it does give a burning smell.

Some smoke at start up can be normal, particularly white smoke from condensation. However, continuous smoking after the first few minutes signifies a problem with the engine that you should seek to have identified in an engine smoking diagnostic. If the smoke is white that could be due to an antifreeze leak from a cracked cylinder head or engine block or a head gasket failure. If the smoke is blue, that means there is an oil leak into the combustion chambers from the valve guides or the piston rings. Black smoke occurs if the engine is being flooded with gasoline. Of course, multiple engine faults could occur at the same time causing different appearance of the smoke. At any rate, the way to resolve this is to obtain a diagnostic so that you can determine what repairs will be required. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.