Q: Smoke coming from the engine, the car sat longer

Hi. My car sat through the winter. When I started it up the other day, there was some smoke coming from the engine. That is the only issue that happened. The dashboard didn't show any lights on and all the gauges are working correctly. What could cause this? Is it serious? Thanks.

Hello there. When vehicles sit for long periods of time, a few things can happen. A majority of the oil can drain to the bottom of the engine. This means that it might take a second to get pressure when the vehicle has started and can potentially cause some smoke to rise. Another common fault is the engine’s valve seals starting to leak. When this occurs, oil is allowed to drain into the cylinders, and when it burns you will see smoke. A qualified technician like one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose the smoke that you are seeing as well as any other relevant faults. From there, they will be able to make the appropriate repairs to resolve this issue.