Q: Smog fail - 1998 Chrysler Sebring

At 15 mph 1904 meas 15.1 meas 0.2 max 54 Ave 9 meas 10 max 0.50 Ave 0.03 max 430 Ave 67 meas 469 fail at 25 mph it passed so what I got to do to fix it

A: Hi there. I have extensive experience with ...

Hi there. I have extensive experience with emissions. The data you have given is very difficult to discern. Being a 1998, I am surprised it is being load mode tested. Typically it's a OBD check. Assuming the Check Engine Light is functional and off tells me the computer is not recognizing a fault. I'll touch base on the five gases analyzed for you.

• CO (carbon monoxide) will be checked for over specification, too much fuel, incomplete combustion.
  • HC (hydrocarbons) will be checked for over specification, misfire, raw fuel, and fuel not burned.
  • CO2 (carbon dioxide) has not failed, product of complete combustion.
  • O2 (oxygen) has not failed, left over through process of combustion.
  • NOX (nitrogen oxides) are too high of combustion temperature, inoperative EGR system, too high operating temperature, reduction portion of catalytic converter inoperative.

The levels on your inspection report that have failed need to be identified, to know the direction of repair. I recommend having your vehicle inspected by a certified technician in order to pinpoint what corrections are needed.