Q: Smelling gas back of my car

After I cut my car off I smell gas coming from the rear of the car.

A: Hi there. If you’re smelling fuel around th...

Hi there. If you’re smelling fuel around the rear of the vehicle, then there is a possible fuel system leak. The fuel tank is usually located toward the rear of the vehicle. This could be liquid fuel or fuel vapor leaking. Perform a quick visual inspection around the fuel tank to determine if raw, wet fuel is present; avoid sparks or open flames around the vehicle as this could lead to serious injury. Any fuel leak, whether liquid or vapor, presents a serious safety concern. Fuel vapor is highly flammable and any spark or sufficient heat source could ignite this vapor. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection as soon as possible to avoid a possible safety issue and to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a fuel smell inspection.