Q: Smell fumes inside car

Took the car to GM dealer and they put the car on the computer. There were no codes, relative to the smell. They only suggestion they has was to change the oxygen sensor. Do you agree with that or do you have any other suggestions?

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in. First, we nee...

Hello. Thanks for writing in. First, we need to determine what kind of fumes you are smelling. It may be hard to determine if you don't have a sense for the different fluids, but you may be smelling fuel, exhaust, coolant, power steering fluid, oil, or transmission fluid. Typically any kind of fumes in the cabin of the vehicle are caused by a leak. These leaks burn on the hot engine, and the evaporated chemicals enter in through the climate control or windows/doors. If the dealership ran it for codes, they were looking for a sign of an exhaust leak. The oxygen sensors when failing will cause the engine to run differently in order to compensate for their readings. Look for any signs of a leak. If you cant find any then you will want to look for a small exhaust leak, which can be time consuming.