Q: Slow crank no start, 1997 Ford Mustang

Car cranks very slowly but will not start. Brand new battery bought it today. removed spark plugs and it still cranks slow.

Hello. Slow cranking can be caused by a few things. If the battery is new, I would make sure that it is fully charged as a low battery can cause slow cranking. I would also carefully examine the battery cables and terminals for any signs of corrosion, as that could hinder current flow to the starter. If those things all check out, then I would then move on to testing the starter. An old or worn starter can weaken over time and cause slow cranking. An engine that cranks too slow will not be able to start, even if fuel and spark are present. If you need help having all these components checked, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting issue and let you know what needs repair.

3. Slow crank no start, 1997 Ford Mustang