Q: Slipping clutch

Is there anything else that would cause my rpms to increase without the speed increasing? The revs will go up and then drop back down (feels like it catches again). Is the only thing that could do this clutch and flywheel related or is there an other explaination?

A: Clutches are supposed to slip while the clu...

Clutches are supposed to slip while the clutch is being engaged so the vehicle does not jerk or lurch forward when starting out. The clutch also needs to slip when the gears are changed to ease the shock on the transmission and drivetrain. But once the clutch pedal is fully released, the clutch should hold firm and provide a solid coupling between the engine and transmission. One way to check for slippage is to test drive the vehicle and lug the engine at slow speed in high gear. If the engine races, then you likely need to have your clutch looked at and replaced by a qualified mechanic such as one from YourMechanic.